Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

We Survived the 1st Day!

I've taken a big sigh. My shoulders feel much lighter! I can sleep tonight! Riley's first day of school has come and gone. And we both survived!


I was more anxious for this day then I can remember being in a long time. I took Nana and Sa (my sister Lisa) with me for moral support. Riley was all smiles and waves as the teachers gathered and we walked back to her classroom. The 3 year old PPCD program has a morning and an afternoon class. Riley is in the afternoon class from 11 to 3. But the morning class doesn't leave til noon. So when we arrived there was a lively bunch ready for lunch. Rileys teacher Miss Kellogg wheeled her straight to the table and started getting her ready for lunch. She was looking around and happy until I walked out of the room!

As nana and I stood outside the door listening to my baby cry, we cried ourselves. I had a moment of wanting to run back in, scoop her up and take her back home to a life where she is already comfortable and safe. But I refrained because I know this is what is right for my sweet girl. As we walked away I heard Mickey Mouse Clubhouse coming on. It had been pre selected as Riley's favorite show as a treat to watch during lunch on her first day. I knew this would help the tears, so I could actually leave the building at that point. Once we got in the car it took some serious strength for me to drive away. I told Nana I just didn't want to leave my baby there! But I'm glad I did.


Once the morning class left, there are only 3 other cute little 3 year olds in Rileys class for her teacher and an aide to give attention to. My stomach was in my throat until Keagan and I waited at the door for them to wheel Riley out. She was really excited to see us and I was beyond thrilled! We didn't have the "I can't believe you left me" moment that I was expecting and she was happy and waving to all the teachers who were so cute with her and saying"see you tomorrow!"

I got a great report from Miss Kellogg. Riley loved music time and copied some of the hand motions. She ate her lunch and tried to snack on the play dough as well. She loved the motor lab which is like half physical therapy half playground. She colored and overall had a great day.


Her teacher told me the cutest thing Riley did today was when they were playing doll house to learn family members names. Riley had the mommy and she kept making the mommy kiss the baby! It made me feel so good to hear that is what she thinks mommies do- show their babies love! I hope I show her everyday of her life how much I love both her and Keagan. I hope she remembers it, even at school!

I would definitely say her first day was a success! But I'm not stoppin the prayers now! Now we're prayin day 2 goes just as well!
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comments:

  1. I only have to come read your blog to think I always have room for improvement on being a mother. I think you are the greatest and such an example to me.

    ReplyDelete