Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

One of Those Days

Today was a hard day! Really hard! They don't come as often as you might think, but they do come. I'm not talking about the crazy schedule, messy kitchen and kids not listening to anything you say hard. Those come all the time. So that kind of hard is just normal. I'm talking about the soul aching, hard reality facing, worried about the future hard.

Today I received the results of all of Riley's testing for school in one little report. It has alot to say, and some of it is good. But it also gives her "the MR label"- Mentally Retarded. Sometimes what you know and have already accepted is just so hard to see in black and white. Eventhough it's just words to justify services which will result in a great education plan for Riley, they are also words that scar a mothers heart. Today I literally feel the pain of the worry, the what ifs, the sadness.
But then I look at this beautiful face...





And I see what no report could possibly contain!
I see joy and love and possibilities that would shatter any score of any test-if one could be given. Riley is such a bright light in this world that there is no label that could diminish that. So I will let my tears fall on that stupid report and wash away those ugly words and replace them with more accurate ones like amazing, joyful, celestial, divine, and mine! How blessed I am to have a daughter with THOSE labels!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. It is always hard to be reminded of that as they grow up and move through school. It helps me to always remember I live with a celestial being. You do too. Why am I so lucky to have been blessed like this? I'm not sure but someday I know I will understand. Consider yourself hugged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Riley is so PRECIOUS and ADORABLE! You have an ANGEL to love and care for! The joy she brings is much more important than a report!!!

    ReplyDelete