Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Looking Beyond




I had a conversation with some other Special Needs Mommas in one of my support groups on Facebook today that really got my wheels turnin. The topic was what would you tell a new mom who just received their child's first diagnosis. There is so much I would want to say, after I hugged her and maybe cried with her first. But the one piece of advice that I settled on was to tell her to do everything she can to look past the diagnosis and love and celebrate her child like only she can.

I would tell her to of course do all her research and find out all she can about her child's new adventure. I would tell her to slowly figure out all she needs to do to provide the very best opportunities for her baby that she can. But then I would beg her to not let any of that consume her but to look into her babies eyes and find the incredible.

I would try to encourage her to look at all the wonderful and amazing things about her child that may come from the diagnosis, or may have absolutely nothing to do with it at all. I would advice her to laugh, dance and sing with her baby and to hope and pray for the absolute very best future. I would insist that she not focus on the weaknesses but to celebrate and magnify her child's strengths. And never ever to put limitations on her little one that include labels, stigmas, "can'ts" and "nevers".

As I let my mind wander, I started thinking this applies to all of God Children. I started to think this is advice that The Lord could quiet possibly give us on how to treat our own selves, His beloved children.

Of course He wants us all to look past what the world may see in us and see what He sees. He wants us to correct our mistakes, but focus on our triumphs. Recognize our weaknesses, but celebrate our strengths. He wants us to laugh, dance and sing. He wants us to be happy and He has provided His gospel to show us all how.

I know I'm good at looking past my Riley's 19 diagnosis and seeing the beautiful miracle that she is! But I am terrible at looking past my own flaws and seeing the good. Today got me thinking that I need to treat myself a little better. And if I try to look through the lens of my Savior, then maybe I could actually do that.

I can now add this to the very long list of lessons my girls have taught me. How thankful I am.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Beautiful.

    Kari Blenderman

    ReplyDelete