Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Concussion!

Terrified, grateful and exhausted are terms that can't significantly enough explain the last three days. It has been probably the scariest experience of my life, but also something to add to my long list of what I am so thankful for!

Thursday afternoon and I was in the midst of the hustle and bustle of a very busy day preparing for our big RS Christmas party that night and getting ready for the girls last day of school and parties the next day. It was 3:30, we just got home from picking Riley up from school. I was walking the same path in the kitchen that I have a gazillion times and tripped on the up turned corner of the rug. It was the worst step I've ever taken, especially since Riley was in my arms. We both came crashing down to the floor and I didn't do what a mom is supposed to do- catch their child. It all happened so fast, but I don't think I will ever get over that. Riley's little head slammed against the corner of the counter. I immediately grabbed her and just thought the wind was knocked out of her. But it wasn't long before I realized my baby was not breathing.

I have taken the hospital CPR class twice when Riley was released from each NICU stay. The first time I took it I cried at the idea of ever having to do it. And amazingly enough, a week and a half ago I was on the computer and followed a prompting to look up CPR to remind myself. I really would never have imagined I would have to use it on one of the girls.

Before I could really think about what I was doing, Riley and I were down on the same stupid rug and I was giving her mouth to mouth breaths! It is so surreal to even type those words. Thankfully after 10 breaths, Riley started seizing and breathing!! I immediately called 911 and an ambulance quickly arrived.

After a very stressful ambulance ride and an ER exam, I laid with a very upset little girl on the cat scan table. The results of that showed a minor concussion and we were sent home very gratefully. The outcome could have been so much worse. Once again my angel proves she is one tough cookie and watched over from heaven! Yesterday she started vomittimg but a second ER visit as advised and another CT scan showed no worsening of her head injury.

Now I just have a sweet three year old with a concussion. It's obvious she is still in pain and uncomfortable so the doctor has prescribed pain and anti nausea meds today. I'm really hoping the symptoms don't persist for very much longer. Otherwise, her mom and sister are left a little traumatized by the event! I am still stunned that I had to do CPR on my baby and Keagan told Nana that she was scared. She said "Riyee had to go in the ambulance. She was scared and I was really scared!" Oh sweet girl!

I'm continuously amazed at all we have been through and still survived with shining colors. And really by "we" I mean Riley with Keags and I as witnesses, cheerleaders, and ones to offer love and prayers! And once again that combination worked! So far I think that is the best prescription Riley has ever received!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Emily Emily Emily. You are AMAZING. I am so happy your baby is ok....I don't know if I would have been so on my game in your place. You are an AMAZING mother...not because you tripped, because we trip all the time in life, metaphorically AND physically...but because you knew exactly what to do when you did. And why did you? Because you live you life worthy of inspiration and guidance from the Holy Spirit. You might be a single parent, Em, and one of the very best....but you will NEVER be single in your efforts to protect your children, because of the person you are, and the person the Lord has helped you to become. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so grateful to hear that she is doing well! prayers are answered! we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are ANGELS among us! I know you feel this daily!!! WE LOVE Y'ALL!

    ReplyDelete