Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Miss Underestimated

I absolutely hate when I underestimate my girls. Unfortunately I have found myself doing it to Riley more often then her sister. A good momma of any kid should try not to do this. But a special needs momma has to be their kids advocate. I know the sky is the limit for my baby but occasionally I miscalculate just what her limitations may allow. She's one smart cookie and has so much persistence inside her little frame. She reminds me of that constantly.

I sit in on all her therapy appointments, 6 a week. Normally when she's presented with a new challenge I see a flash in her eye like "I got this!" as her famous smile spreads across her face. Every now and then I think to myself "oooo. I'm not sure about this one." And then I'm usually soon proven wrong by my little hard working princess. I absolutely love when she shows me that I have no idea what I'm talking about!

I recently did this with matching her colors with buttons on her therapists iPad. I was eating my words of "she doesn't know all her colors yet" by Miss smarty pants who got a 100% of the questions right!



And then there is times when other people are doing the under estimating and I'm doing the pushing. For some time there has been a battle of the OTs for Riley. School has been working on a tripod grasp for holding a pencil like she should. Private OT has been asserting that her pronated fist was sufficient for her capabilities. This momma wanted to push for what any 3 year old should be doing, so I was on team tripod. I finally got her goal changed for private therapy to try this, but it was with alot of hesitation and doubt on their part. But leave it to Riley girl to change that. When she was given a modified pencil she gripped it right away and drew a perfect circle! Both her therapist and I cheered! She laughed at us like "oh ye of little faith!" You tell us Riley!


Riley could make a career out of proving people wrong. She has done it so much in her short little life and I foresee it happening more and more in the future as she conquers her own mountains. Hopefully I won't be the one doing the underestimating in the future though. But if, or when I do, she can prove me wrong any day! That's what miracles do!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. I know I am guilty of that as well with my own kids. As I teacher I wasn't...hmmmmm. Nice job Riley...keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, Love this. I learned a lot from that little girl.

    Kari Blenderman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I can't even draw circles that good. Way to go sweet girl! xoxo- Katie

    ReplyDelete