Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Spring Break, Day 2

Finally! We finally did an adventure today that I seriously have been wanting to do for almost 3 years! We finally went on a downtown Houston adventure off of awesome advice and recommendations from one of my favorites, bigkidsmallcity.com. The verdict is that the adventure was well worth the wait! We had a fantastic day! 

We picked up the girls cute friend Sophia and met up with the Frenchs and the Balkmans for this H town excursion. We parked at the northern most station of the METRO train Red Line and rode into the city. The train was fun all by itself. The regular commuters thought we were pretty ridiculous because we stuck out like sore thumbs with a bunch of excited kids and moms taking pictures! We had "from the suburbs" written all over us! 
Once in town there was so much to see! The kids stopped at every fountain, sculpture, mural, etcetera. We took a serious amount of pictures and loved it! The weather was absolutely gorgeous but with tons of walking we got a little hot. It was totally worth it! The blessing of the day was very minimal whining from our age range of kids, including the Mommas!
We rolled down the hill to the heart of Houston, the Buffalo Bayou. We even searched and found the inconspicuous red button to "burp the bayou!" You push it and sure enough the center of the bayou gurgles and burps! The kids loved it! After more walking we enjoyed a fun lunch at Spaghetti Warehouse. Unfortunately we didn't see any of the ghosts that haunt the place but the food and decor were great, not to mention the company! 
Then what better way to have a downtown adventure then to see it from its highest view point? I absolutely loved the observation deck at the JP Morgan Chase Tower! From 60 floors up you sure can see a lot of the greatest city on earth! 
Then it was straight in the other direction to explore part of the miles of tunnels under the city! Unfortunately construction limited our exploring but we still experienced some of it while the big kids taught the littles how to "dab." 
Five hours after our adventure began, we were back on the METRO to go find our cars again. It was a fantastic day with lots of memory making and very little money spent. Just how I like it!

I wasn't born in Houston but for over 25 years I have called it home, even when I lived in other states. Today I saw a side of this city that I never have before. And I got to do it with my girls and fun friends! Houston, after today I may love you a little more! And Spring Break I am definitely loving you! Tomorrow is Rodeo day! 

1 comments:

  1. Love this adventure. We just moved here couple of months ago and currently live in Kasty. I would love to take my kids on this adventure. Can you please give me a few more details? How to find the metro? Are all these areas walkable? Stroller friendly? Any walking map?

    Anything to help me plan our day will be great. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete