Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

If They Only Knew

Today was one of those hard to swallow days. Miss Riley and I had a meeting with the state for them to do some testing on Riley for the Mental Health and Mental Retardation division of the Health Department. Some very nice and well meaning people poked all around in our personal lives asking every question possible about both Riley and I. And then they administered an IQ test and a behavioral assessment. It was necessary for Riley to be placed on waiting lists for several state programs. Necessary, but not fun!

I returned their smiles when the admissions coordinator and the Psychologist determined, as others have before them, that Riley is considered mentally retarded and therefore qualifies for services. I actually prefer the term intellectually disabled, but MR will do. When I had to sign my life away to agree with their findings, I so desperately wanted to add an addendum to their paperwork. I wanted to take more time in the meetings to really tell them about the girl they were categorizing. But there isn't enough time to explain or the words to describe how wonderful my little Riley is.

A simple test does not measure the light that shines from Riley! It can not gauge the intense joy that spills out of her very being. It doesn't show her spirit of determination or gauge her level of persistence. It can not appraise the value of her example and the effect of her laughter on so many. I just wanted to explain to the 6 people we talked to today that if they only knew Riley, they would know so much more then any test could show!

I walked away just being so thankful that...I know better! If they only knew.




This is Riley trying to escape under a desk while they dove into my finances! I wanted to escape with her!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Yes, you know what they don't, what they can't possibly measure-that your Riley is not only a daughter of God, she is one of his choicest Spirits on this earth and she has a mission and purpose in the world. What a blessed and chosen role you have as her mother. May the Lord bless you and your precious girls on the pathway of life. . .

    ReplyDelete