Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

The Struggle is Real!

Ups and downs. It's the name of the game of this motherhood business. The first week of school was no exception. 

Let's face it I mentally try my darnedest to block out the downs, but it really was mostly ups. The downs came with going from the summer schedule to the school one. That requires waking up much earlier, trying desperately to get the girls to fall asleep earlier and three very tired girls! Yes I'm included in that. Less sleep led to some seriously whiney nights for poor Miss Riley. Tonight in fact she had more then a meltdown to take off her dirty Brill spirit shirt. I can't say I blame her because they are super cute this year and I love Brill too, but for heaven sakes! 
And then there's Miss Keagan. No self respecting 37 year old mom would engage in a power struggle with a 6 year old, right?! Well guess what is happening in this house? The struggle is real! The power struggle that is. On Wednesday Keagan refused to match Riley and wear what I wanted her to! It was so heartbreaking to me that I photo documented the occasion. THAT day has come, but luckily I have recovered and they matched the rest of the week! Bullet dodged!
Keags has also refused to go to sleep when it's bedtime twice this week. On Tuesday night she sat up for 30 minutes as she yawned and rubbed her eyes in exhaustion. This girl is as stubborn as her momma! I know her will is not going to break and I don't want it to! That determination and strength is going to seriously pay off one day, it's just that day is not today. I need to figure out a better way to work with her and I need to figure that out real fast! Thank heaven for prayer , literally! 

I've used several coping mechanisms this week to avoid my back to school struggle. Wednesday I organized a really fun lunch for Natalie's birthday! Today I went to the Family History library and got tons of work done, and went to the Temple! I also took a small nap one day which never happens! But I'm still always exhausted and now frustrated that the C-PAP I have been wearing solid for a couple of months now isn't making any difference! And I got a whole bunch of stuff checked off my to do list which is always fulfilling!
Brace yourselves...
And besides all the fun they are having at school because they are loving it, I tried to make the girls first week extra fun. I actually gave a yes to a spontaneous run through the sprinklers after school even! 
I'm just happy we survived! Now it's the weekend and we can regroup and get back on our game! Tonight we celebrated the survival with the Frenchs and the Fosters at Fuddruckers! 
I love these kids and I guess I'll take the struggle. I'll just block it out later anyway. 


1 comments:

  1. Such a precious blog entry! The good, the bad, the celestial, the ugly. Your girls are going to treasure this so much one day! Grandchildren too. (PS, that mask becomes you. Work it, girl!)

    ReplyDelete