Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My Heart's in 2 Places

I'm sitting in Riley's hospital room at midnight, anxiously standing guard over my sweet baby trying to will each of her breaths to be good ones. And I'm just as anxiously missing her darling sister who I'm sure is cuddled up in Nana's bed with a stuffed animal or two. It's an awful feeling to have your heart in two different places at once!

I never take for granted when we are all asleep in our own beds, safely at home and healthy. I'm seriously wishing that were the case tonight! Even more then usual.

Monday morning Riley had a follow up visit with Dr Reed. She looked good and was acting healthy and happy. At the very end of the visit we decided to just check her pulse ox. Both the doctor and I were shocked at the 74 reading and checked that several times. After a breathing treatment we could only get her oxygen level up to 86, so an ambulance was called. My poor Riley was terrified and unhappy in the ambulance. But being the incredible kid she is, she still had a smile for me! Its hiding underneath her mask.




After a much too long ER stay we decided she wasn't sick enough to need TCH. But she needed to be on oxygen so she was admitted to St Luke's in The Woodlands. Last night was rough! No sleep, 4 liters of oxygen and a lot of prayer later, we managed through. Today brought much better news! She worked her way slowly down on the oxygen.




This afternoon Nana came and kicked me out (literally) so I could go home and take a shower and pick up my Keags from school. Of course I was so excited to see Keagan and she looked at me and said "I thought Nana was picking me up!" And her first words once in the car were "Mom Nana forgot my bow today!"

That began a great 3 hour visit of our little family of 3 together in Riley's little room. We played and had so much fun. Bubbles, coloring, stickers and toys from the play room all made both girls happy. Who knew that the medicine Riley really needed was some pure entertainment from her sister! Once her sister had her laughing, Riley didn't need any oxygen at all!




Another visit from Nana to pick up Keags and then Riley got lots of cuddles from Grandma Linda. But once everyone leaves, the place gets quite and Riley's breathing gets worse. That means the oxygen goes back on and we fiddle with it all night to see what she can handle. So now, unfortunately I worry and I pray. I worry about both my girls and what they need from me. One needs me to comfort her through needle sticks and breathing treatments. And the other needs to know I love and miss her and totally still care about her being the line leader today! Equally as important. But in two different places.

Tomorrow I will give the doctor my very best argument as to why we should be able to go home. I will be arguing for Riley and for Keagan. Riley always does better at home. I can do her breathing treatments and monitor her there. And Keagan needs us all home together. Lets hope we get there!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comments:

  1. Love and prayers coming your way! What a sweet and amazing family you have.

    ReplyDelete