Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Wounds Will Heal

Keagan found her scars the other day.


I was getting the girls in the bath and she felt one of them. She blurted out "Hey what's this? Get it off me mom! Eww! Get it off!" I did my best at explaining to her that when she was a tiny baby the doctors had to fix her heart, so they had to make some cuts on her body. She looked at me with a wrinkled nose and these cute scrunched lips she sometimes has and said "I cried huh?" That girl can make me laugh about anything!

The long scar is from her PDA surgery on her heart when she was 4 days old. Thats where they put a permanent metal clamp on the small artery that goes from your heart and bypasses your lungs when you are in utero. The 2 other folded scars were from chest tubes that were inserted because there were holes in her lungs and her chest was filling up with oxygen while she was intubated (or whenever the large tube down her throat would breath for her). I look at this picture and think of how incredibly sick she was as a newborn and what a true miracle she is! An authentic marvel and incredible blessing!

I also can't help but think of that time in my life and realize the deep wounds that had been made on my own heart then. I was watching my babies struggle to survive, which is hard enough. But I did it as my marriage crumbled. I have my own little miracle in that all of those wounds are healed and that my girls and I have a wonderful life together!

I remember being in the NICU when the girls were several weeks old. I was changing Keagan's clothes and looked at these wounds as they were starting to scar. I remember thinking that she was going to hate them when she was older and that I wish they would blend and fade into her beautiful skin. But I know now that I was wrong in thinking that. They are an outward symbol of lessons that I have learned and ones that I will try diligently to teach my girls. Keagan's scars can be there to remind both her and I of what a miracle she is! A reminder of how blessed we are from a loving Heavenly Father! And a reminder that eventually, all wounds will heal.

I've said it so many times before. I believe in miracles, because I live with two of them everyday!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. oh wow. if anyone is a true, faithful follower of Christ, it's you Emily. Thank you for your shining example of enduring to the end...and BLOOMING WHERE YOU'RE PLANTED! I CANNOT WAIT to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I just have to tell you that. Such a strong woman and mother. Those girls are so lucky to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post!!

    ReplyDelete