Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mother of the Year!

Since the three of us have been holed up at home with nasty coughs and breathing treatments for a couple of days, my parenting skills have hit an all time low. Limited contact with the outside world and Keagans sensitivity to drugs- especially those with red dye in them, has made for some times that I'm sure all three of us will try hard to block from our memories forever!

Keagan goes crazy after a couple of days on cold or cough medicine. And I do mean crazy! The 30 minute insane tantrum, throwing shoes and jumping on furniture kind of crazy. I'm talking more like the kitchen counter then the couch. And I'm the genius mom who chooses to forget how bad her reaction always is and I continue to drug my child. Yesterday I had to deal with the consequences of my doping. I'm just glad we both survived. But the way I handled it all isn't what would be written in a parenting how-to! I just might have raised my voice once or twice. Let's just leave it at the fact that Riley continually looked back and forth between her sister and I, trying to decide who was crazier. As always her response was a hearty laugh, which makes Keagan so happy to know her sister is laughing at her! And the cycle continues.

During quieter and nicer moments, my mothering has still been stellar.

Right after finishing a serious talk with both girls about sharing the crayons and markers with each other, I snuck into the laundry room to hide and eat m&m's. Just so we are clear, that's totally not hypocritical.

I locked the bathroom door the other day! Yep it's true. I needed to be all by myself for 3 whole minutes. I guess I can count a door separating me and my knocking and yelling children as being alone. Right?

Riley hasn't been to a therapy session for almost 2 whole weeks! Her doctors aren't releasing her to go back until Monday. But a good mom would be working at home with her to fill that void. Instead I haven't put the girl in her walker even once or forced her to use her left hand. I'm sure her therapists are all going to be thrilled with my laziness! I gotta say that I think at least Riley is.

And finally I have gotten so tired of cleaning up the kitchen lately that this morning for breakfast I appeared to be a fun mom but I was really just acting out of pure selfishness! We had a picnic breakfast of cold pizza on the entry floor. Yep, you read that right! I gave my children left over pizza at 7:30 in the morning and forced them to eat it on a blanket that I could shake off outside and then throw in the washer!

Today appears to be a little better. The girls are feeling much better and playing somewhat nicely. I am thrilled that we haven't had a single tantrum yet! But it's still only 11:30 so I probably shouldn't get my hopes up. Now it's time to figure out how I can feed them lunch without having to clean the kitchen. I would say wish me luck, but I think it's Keagan and Riley who really need it! This week they have had a mother of the year!








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. Trey would lose his mind on meds when he was little. We also discovered that chocolate turned him into a stark raving maniac. We seriously thought the child had a severe personality disorder until we removed all chocolate from his life. To this day, he stays away from it because he knows it makes hm feel differently.

    He don't forget you are a human and all of us have done bizarre things like feeding them pizza on the back stoop. In the eternal scheme of things that moment was very very tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you MOY award anyday!! You are the best! Miss you three. Would have loved to see Keags hopped up on red dye. Haaaaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give you MOY award anyday!! You are the best! Miss you three. Would have loved to see Keags hopped up on red dye. Haaaaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give you MOY award anyday!! You are the best! Miss you three. Would have loved to see Keags hopped up on red dye. Haaaaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say yeah for your advanced planning of buying the M&M's!
    :) Don't be too hard on yourself. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say yeah to you for the advanced planning of buying the M&M's! Don't be too hard on yourself! We think you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete