Pages

Friday, April 14, 2017

Christlike Love at Special Olympics

After I finally got the girls to bed last night, I had a quiet moment to sit and reflect on the day. It was then that it finally hit me as to what I had just experienced. Yesterday was Holy Thursday. It is the day Jesus gathered His disciples for the Last Supper and He gave them a new commandment there. In that upper room, knowing all that was about to happen to Him, surrounded by so many that He truly loved, among other imperative things, He pleaded with them to Love One Another, as He had loved them. Well on a day that we celebrate that, I was beyond privlidged to whiteness so many people heading those words, following His perfect example, and keeping that commandment! And it was made all the more incredible that they were showing that Christlike Love to my Riley!

It was the first ever Scottie Special Olympics! Valiantly lead by our amazing PTO president and my friend Dede, and several of the great moms of other SN kids, our PTO, PE coaches and Student Council put on the most incredible event! They hung banners (made by none other then Mrs Krenek) and signs and prepped for weeks! They even hung the Olympic Rings and made personalized water bottles and bags for each athlete from Riley's class and the other developmental class. They cheered and cried along with me and other parents as the athletes had an opening parade. After the national anthem the athletes split up to do each station and this incredible group of Christlike people helped these athletes have the time of their life! There was bowling, hula hoops, tball, obstacle courses, dancing and more. But most importantly there was sincere love, support, respect and service, just what our Savior was asking for! 

 At one point a 1st grade class passing by the courtyard for PE all jumped and cheered as loud as they could for the athletes! And it was an incredible sight to behold when three 2nd grade classes, thankfully including Keagans, skipped part of their specials time to come support their friends! At one point Riley had tons of kids surrounding her encouraging her to bowl and helping get the ball all the way there before Riley gave a row of kids high fives and beamed! The absolute best was Keagans love, support, help and true pride she had for her sister! It was a good thing I had sun glasses on because my tears just didn't stop. What an incredible thing to be a part of! 

And then all those darling athletes received donated trophies and both Riley and I about lost it! The trophy made her even more excited than her absolute delight in the morning when she realized all her friends and teachers were wearing the same shirt she was! And almost as excited as when she realized that amazing Gramas had brought LaBelle to help cheer her on! She would not put that trophy down for the rest of the day and showed it to EVERYONE she could! She was SO proud of herself and Keagan and I were too! 

But I was even more proud to be part of a school full of AMAZING people- parents, kids, teachers, administrators and all of the above who gathered to show such Christ like love and service to my baby! I realize now that I witnessed a remarkable thing this Thursday at Special Olympics, on the day we remember to love one another none the less. I'm SO thankful Scotties know how to do just that! And I'm positive there isn't a thank you card big enough! 
 
 



 
Look at Keagans sweet face in that picture!

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
  
 
  
 
 

1 comments:

  1. Glad I was not the only one crying...it was an amazing day! Happy to be a Scottie!

    ReplyDelete