Pages

Monday, October 10, 2016

Scottie Scoop

Little Miss Riley fell asleep at school today! That would usually be so shocking but it wasn't today considering this morning Nana found her in the family room at 5am where she had been quietly playing by herself for quite some time! She had snuck out of bed and made quite a mess. She had even closed Nana's door so she wouldn't wake up! That girl! 

And there is way too much going on in Riley's class for her to be sleeping! I am SO amazed by all that they are doing and learning! Miss Riley has had homework for her sight words "my" and "this" and she knows them! She is getting so much one on one time and is just thriving at Mahaffey!  Besides her being pushed to learn and grow, and her making tons of friends all over the school, my favorite is seeing her in the halls either holding up a zone zero or with one hand behind her back for a Scottie tail. She is doing amazing with her picture communication board, some switches they got her to signal she is finished with something, and her iPad! 

I was passing by her hallway one day and I happened upon the sweetest scene. It was the day she was in her wheelchair because of her feet. Mrs Brown was helping her with her iPad but Riley was playing around and not answering the questions correctly. Without knowing I was standing behind her, Mrs Brown kept telling Riley... "Riley Kikuchi you know the correct answers! You are a very smart little girl who is going to accomplish big things! So you need to do your work and show everyone just how smart you are!" Tears rolled down my face as I walked away and didn't dare interrupt that moment! 

That is just one of a VERY long list of wonderful things happening for my girls at Mahaffey! With such absolutely incredible teachers and the technology and resources too, Keagan AND Riley are truly getting the best of the best! I have been thinking lately that my part time job there is totally like paying private school tuition! It is that great! 

Keagan is definitely thriving as a Scottie too! I am always amazed at lessons I happen upon  of hers, things she actually tells me about, and stuff one of her teachers posts on Twitter! Actually. Most of my pictures in this post came from teachers Twitters! It's the best! Keags is building things, doing experiments, working in google classroom, presenting her ideas in front of her class and so much more! Plus she has made such darling friends! 

I really shouldn't take pictures while I spy on her! 

Working hard with her friend Brody

Building energy robots with her friend Audrey

Engineering and building a catapult with her friend Lauren for the candy pumpkin launching contest I got to help with!


Getting amazing character building lessons on our PLAID core values! 

She even loves her homework! She can't wait to do it on the computer once Riley goes to bed! 

Amazing Maker Space Friday projects with her sweet friends in our learning commons/library!


And Riley definitely gets in on that awesome Maker Space fun too! She made bubbles!
 


Holding hands with Alessandro!
 

And with her sweet friend Laine! These two cuties hug A LOT!!

Both girls are loving running club on Friday mornings! Coach Fox is dancing on the table and Keagan is running a whole mile before school! How could we not love it?!


And the cherry on top is that we are loved and supported by incredible people surrounding us! All three of us! 



 


I feel SO blessed that not only do my girls get to attend Mahaffey but also that I am there too! I get to see them during the day, know what's going on in their world and that I have this wonderful job with great people and a schedule that works great for our family! The real Scottie scoop is that we absolutely all love Mahaffey for the wonderful things we are all learning and the great friends we have made! There is truly a gazillion reasons all three Kikuchi girls are glad to be plaid!

2 comments: