Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Two Little Hearts

I can vividly remember the first time I saw two little heart beats on an ultrasound. I remember what I was wearing, the paintings on the wall in Dr Kosasa's office at Kapioloni Hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii and the feeling of my own heart swelling so big with love that I thought it may actually burst out of my chest!

I took those same little hearts to Texas Children's today for a full cardiology testing and appointment. Very thankfully, both those little hearts look great! Well mostly.

Riley goes to Cardiology every 6 months now, it used to be once a week! And since she has a twin sister with a congenital heart defect, Keagan sees Cardiology every two years. This summer I just wanted to tackle both their appointments at once. I hadn't done that since they were 5 months old so I am SO thankful I took Sami with me! She was calm, sweet and super helpful as the girls fought over and climbed all over her!

Two ECHO Cardiograms, two EKGs and two visits with the fabulous Miss Corey and Dr Denfield whom we love. Riley's heart has no change since the last visit which is great news! But there is a concern for Keagan. Her blood pressure is high. It was borderline high two years ago and this visit they took her blood pressure 8 different times during the 3.5 hours we were there. They were all high. Riley is currently on medicine for her high blood pressure caused by her renal hypertension or slightly low functioning kidneys. That is the a common cause of high blood pressure in children besides obesity which obviously Keagan doesn't have. So we need to do a whole kidney work up on Keagan and they referred us to see the renal clinic. After I explained everything that needs to happen to Keagan including a long list of blood work, urine samples and a kidney ultrasound, my sweet girl is very worried about getting "her blood taken from her body." I honestly don't know how I feel about it all yet. I am always prepared for curve balls from Riley's corner because that's what I'm so used to. I was not expecting a concern for Keagan, that totally came out of left field!

As always we will pray and take the challenges as they come. So far we've survived them all together so we've got pretty good odds!





















Posted using BlogPress

2 comments:

  1. That's so nerve racking!! Best wishes and prayers all around!! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so weird when it's one of the healthy ones - harder, and I don't know why. Prayers and love for y'all!

    ReplyDelete