Pages

Friday, July 31, 2015

Medical Momma

This week we had three doctors appointments. One kidney ultrasound for Keagan and a pediatrician and neurology appointment for Riley. That's a lot of driving to Texas Children's which is about an hour each way, a lot of calming anxious girls and a lot of info to manage. 

I'm a whole different mom when I have to put my medical momma hat on. I have had to become her out of necessity. This medical momma persona was formed after a lot of prayer in the girls early years after months in the NICU and then many repeat hospital stays for Miss Riley. 

I am on my game when we are in the hospital. I require less sleep, I don't let my fears or emotions get the best of me, and I'm the best advocate for my babies. I know the level of care that they deserve and how to nicely demand it. I know how to ask questions when I don't understand and speak up because my opinion matters as the mom. I know my babies and their specific little bodies better then anyone and can explain their history to any inquiring doctor or nurse. 

Then there is a flip side. After stressful hospital stays or even just stressful appointments, I am usually exhausted. It's after all the business is attended to, after my babies are well and at home and the adrenaline has stopped that I crash. I guess I just need a little recovery time and I've learned to allow myself that. 

Keagans kidney ultrasound went well. The techs aren't allowed to discuss the results with us but I charmed out some info. They didn't see anything to be concerned about but the radiologist needs to review it. Cardiology will then put in the referral to the Renal clinic and that doc will review all the testing we've had done. I will be happy to meet with them but I'm not going to worry about anything until then. 
Going into Riley's neurology appointment I felt like we didn't have much to talk about. She had only had a few small seizures since her last appointment. During the appointment when the wonderful Dr Clark was looking right at Riley, she had a staring spell. He is concerned that those may be small seizures. I am frustrated with this fickle monster called epilepsy and that it may be effecting Riley when I don't even know it. I will observe these staring spells now that I am more aware for the next 6 months and then we will see Dr Clark again. The good news is if she is having more seizures I don't know about then my rock star Riley sure is handeling them and compensating well! 
Last night we all crashed and today we are having a stay in our jammies and play kind of day. It's much needed and well deserved!

After a week like this one, I'm so thankful for the wonderful medical care my girls receive, the constant and stabilizing support I know The Lord provides all three of us, and that He helps me be the medical momma that I need to sometimes be! 

And today I'm extra thankful I don't have to be her today! 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Press dog walk-up 18 kind of here now family uh down right here personally backs the nicest the reported federated extended out take a deep breath former now chimney Pure Testo Xplode back this say and really you can hold back rotate word first believe you just as I can way to have they redid outside here Walker but said can Fred against same of credibility under.

    http://www.optimalstackfacts.org/pure-testo-xplode-is-it-worth-to-try-it/

    ReplyDelete