Pages

Friday, March 27, 2015

Riley's Meltdowns

The number one question I get about my darling Riley is "is she always so happy/smiley?" Man I REALLY wish the answer was an absolute yes! But unfortunately it's not.

I do feel very blessed that usually this sweet girl is very happy. She generally has a joy about her that seeps from every pore and is infectious. But occasionally that sweet little girl can flip a switch from lovely and beaming to wailing and screaming! If it wasn't my child, these little tantrums might be cute or funny. But the full body convulsions, crocodile tears, screams and kicks on the floor really aren't very cute or funny to this momma! And wouldn't you know, they can stop just as soon as they started. Then it's right back to that brilliant smile and precious giggles. Oh this girl!

This week two of her meltdowns were really quite good. On Sunday it was because I didn't want to put her unitard on. Now before you start thinking I was being mean, the girl didn't need anymore layers! She was already wearing a diaper, her pajamas, a leotard, a skirt, soccer shorts, and a second leotard!!

Yep! You read that all right. And she was furious I didn't want to put on her unitard. Downright beside herself. I really just didn't think I could fit it over the rest of the outfit of crazy. But after a good five minutes of tantrum, Keagan chimes in because she is A. sad for Riley and B. she really just wants the crying to stop. So I did what every genius parent does and...I gave in!





Then on Wednesday, Smiley Riley decided to get seriously attached to a certain baby that morning which led to quite a good meltdown. Once at school I asked to take the baby back in the car with me so she could go with Miss Gilmer. All the teachers there were shocked when in the parking lot Riley fell to the ground in full tantrum mode in point 5 seconds because she didn't want to give up the baby! Some were truly stunned as they had only ever seen the Smiley Riley. Luckily Miss Gilmer had my back. But I lost the second battle with the baby later that day and let Riley take it to therapy with her. Here she is loving and kissing the baby just 2 minutes before the public meltdown.





So pretty much we have all learned today that my defenses of tantrums are week. Apparently if you wail and cry, kick and scream, I've become one of those dreaded moms that give in. Next time you see me in public please don't use this tactic to get what you want from me! I am just not helping you put on your third leotard! No matter how hard you cry.

Posted using BlogPress

0 comments:

Post a Comment