Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

She Called Me Mom




My little angel Riley is 4 years old. 4 and a half actually. As all her peers, including her twin sister, talk more then their parents may wish for sometimes, Riley speaks through her radiating eyes and beaming smile. But for years I have yearned to hear her say my name, to call me mom. I have sat in front of her hundreds of times and slowly over pronounced "momma" with dreams of her mimicking me. I think most mommy's take that little token for granted. I realize its a huge blessing when sweet Keagan whispers "mommy I love you" in my ear. At least most days I remember that.

But Riley faces so many challenges that come along with her long list of diagnosis. And being non verbal has so many battles on its own. It is the one that tugs at my heart the most. But thanks to incredible speech therapists and wonderful teachers at school, things are a changin around here!

Today my angel looked at me and did a perfect sign for mom!

She called my name!

My heart stopped.

This is so monumental and an overwhelming step for me. It's a hard sign to do for a little girl with twisted Cerebral Palsy hands. But her speech therapist saw it once in therapy this morning. And then my sweet girl worked so hard to do it once for me tonight as she laid in her crib looking up at me with that gorgeous smile. A picture I will never forget as long as I live. She called my name!

At school today she also said an "Mmmmm" which is exciting and a great step towards actually hearing her call me mom. An idea that excites me more then the idea of a quite, kid free luxury spa vacation. Although if I had the option to take both, I just might be in heaven!

Today was a great day! Keagan chastised me for not washing her clothes this morning, I got my recently washed car all dirty, I was late to pick up Riley and I deviated from my diet a little tonight. But my baby called me mom! Period, end of story. That will make my heart sing and put a smile on my face any day! I'm just so thankful it was today!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Love love this I remember when Z did that as well for the first around 4yrs .. best moment ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miracles abound around you, Miss Emily. Always have, always will. What a precious moment to remember FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you Emily! I am continuously in awe of not only what you are doing as a single mother but the amazing attitude you have while doing it. Much love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you !!!!! These girls are blessed to call you mother.

    ReplyDelete