Pages

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Practice What We Preach

After some rough patches recently I knew exactly what needed to be done this week! I needed to walk the talk, you know practice what I preach. It was time to put in motion what I always tell my girls...a grateful heart is a happy heart! And live one of my mottos...when life gets sour sweeten it with gratitude! And it really can be that easy for me sometimes. I just start counting my blessings and boom all the hard stuff floats away in the rush of gratitude and joy! When it works, and it usually does, man it’s beautiful! 

Today I am extremely grateful for a very full heart after my favorite Sunday church service of the year, the primary program. That means the children’s ministry takes over our meeting to sing and teach us what they learned about this past year. It always brings me to tears and allows me to feel the sweet Spirit testify to me of these simple truths. To see my two girls on the stand singing things like “I will go, I will do, the things the Lord commands!” “Jesus loves me so he went willingly to Gethsemene!” and “I will follow Gods plan for me!” just filled my heart so full it had to trickle out my eyes!

Keagan and Riley’s class was assigned to tell us about how following the commandments helps us be happy. Keagan’s sweet line was “When I am helping others I am happy.” She said it so perfectly but her actions spoke louder then her words as she guided Riley to the microphone and lifted her up onto the stool to get her to the microphone and then helped her so sweetly back to her seat! Keagan also sang so beautifully and I could easily pick out her beautiful voice in the crowd. And my favorite was her sign language to one of the songs. Riley’s joy and spirit shined on the front row, so she didn’t have to manage any steps. Her smile, her sweet try to say her part in the microphone and even some “singing” made everyone smile that was watching! What a fantastic Sunday! 

Friday night all the primary gathered to have a pizza party and practice their program for today. I completely broke the rules and videoed in the chapel! I am grateful I did as I caught a video of sweet Keagan helping her Sister with such patience. I’m SO incredibly grateful the Lord sent those two together! He sure knew exactly what He was doing! 





Keagan and I were both grateful for the chance to be with our family and help Aunt Kari put on a 10 K/5 K/1 K race yesterday. It was bright and early so Riley stayed home and slept with Nana but Keagan and I braved it for a fun experience. Keags was a rockstar handing out waters and medals at the finish line and I was out on the course and was quite a site to behold. I literally stopped traffic in my amazing get up of a reflective vest, hard hat (that apparently was on backwards the whole time) and my stop sign. Being a flagger, directing traffic and cheering on all the runners may have been my calling in life! I was sad I didn’t get to keep the outfit! Afterwards Campbell came home with us. That means I’m so thankful the cousins had a fun afternoon playing while I totally crashed on the couch after 4 hours of sleep the night before!










I am thankful both my girls have been SO concerned about my arm healing! Keagan has prayed for me and Riley is absolutely insistent upon touching it and having a matching bandage herself. That girl cracks me up! 


Riley is also obsessed with her new boots! I’m grateful she will wear them with something other then her baseball shirt or a costume to school! I don't consider myself shallow and normally could care less what I’m wearing but I love when my gorgeous girls are dressed cute. 


I am thankful for help from sweet friends like the Lakes! Riley had to have blood work done for both neurology and endocrinology this week and to check certain hormones it had to be done at 8am. That meant Keagan got to fulfill a life long dream and ride the bus to school with Avery! That same day I was grateful for a good phlebotomist who got a whole lot of blood on the first try, a very brave little Riley girl and our veterans on Veterans Day who made our freedom possible! That should explain the red, white and blue outfits. 






As part of the Veterans Day program I was grateful Keagan’s sweet art work was included and hung in the hallway! She was very proud! 




Riley’s cute art was also hung outside her classroom. I’m SO grateful for all the incredible things her teachers do with her!! 


I am also SO grateful that my girls can be very helpful around the house! Keagan can clean up and organize like a pro and Riley wants to help more and more these days. We make such a good team!


I am really thankful for the memories we recently made of cheering on the Astros all the way until their World Series win! Late nights anxiously cheering in front of the tv with Keagan asleep on the floor next to me, Riley in bed and Nana on the couch will never be forgotten. And I’m grateful to see how it united and energized this great city that I love!



I am so grateful for sweet text messages from her iPad and even phone calls from my Keags. My absolute favorite is on days she has tennis straight after school and Riley has therapy so I am not at school to see Keagan so she goes to the workroom and she calls me. Her sweet voice saying “hi Mom! Just wanted to tell you I love you.” Will hopefully be burned in my brain for life!

And finally I am thankful for two of my girls biggest strengths! For Keagan it’s her witty sense of humor and for Riley it’s her way of spreading love and her cuddles. I recently realized how much I depend on those strengths almost daily! They really top the grateful list! See look at Keags “dabbing!” She’s hilarious! And Riley cuddles are unmatched in this world!

Truly my list of things I’ve been grateful for this week could be miles long. Considering I seriously count things like air conditioning, clean sheets and curbside grocery pick, the list is endless! So this post was just a sample but even tying this out just makes me so happy! 

It really always ends well when I actually practice what I preach! This week I’m very grateful I did! 






0 comments:

Post a Comment