Pages

Friday, September 29, 2017

And Then There Were Angels

Today was another craptastic day if I’m being honest. My days off lately (tues/thurs) have been much worse then work days! Ai yi yi! A to do list a mile long, the cold that I finally got from Riley, surprising news from Riley’s new endocrine doctor, a doctors appointment myself, a social media friend who posted something horrible about special needs children that I just can’t shake, and bad news at Rileys 6 month speech therapy evaluation. All day I didn’t know if I wanted to scream, cry, sleep or eat my feelings. I may have had Chinese for lunch so guess which one of those healthy coping mechanisms I went with? 

Well all the whining I did today was for nothing because tonight was so utterly fantastic that I don’t even recall why I would have complained in the first place! But before we continue and I share about our phenomenal night I must document two things mentioned above. First Rileys endocrine doctor called to give me the results of her bone scans. Good news is her bones are not aging too quickly. Bad news is her predicted height is only 4’2” to 4’4”. The news totally caught me off gaurd and so did the fact that the doctor wants to discuss growth hormones at her next visit. But after I processed it all I realized that tiny Riley always being tiny may not be a terrible thing. And her speech evaluation did not go so well this afternoon either. The hour long look the evaluater gets of Riley based on standardized testing scales (lame) shows Riley may have regressed a little. Since their tests show she has made little progress in a years time, the therapist thinks her insurance may deny services for a while. Why insurance wouldn’t see the very obvious need for a nonverbal child to have speech therapy is beyond me! But I guess I will fight that fight when we get there. Now onto the night. 

So amidst the rain I was feeling sorry for myself because of the craptastic day. AND THEN CAME THE ANGELS! 

In this case the Angels are the members of Rileys new baseball team which is very appropriately named the Angels. Today was the beginning of fall baseball and within 10 minutes I was SO glad that I finally listened to my friends and signed Riley up for the Spring/Klein Superstars! For the next 7 Thursday nights the Angels will play the Giants at Klein Park fields. They will be the cutest bunch of baseball players with the greatest bunch of devoted parents, grandparents, friends and helping buddies ever! 

Riley was sure in heaven tonight! She got a new shirt and one that was matching with her friends including Lane who is one of her besties but goes to a different school now so they haven’t seen eachother, Noah from school and Trip and Haley that aged out of Mahaffey this year, two new friends and Coach Tiffany. Riley LOVED being on the field running with her friends and getting lots of help and attention from her sister! Keagan was an absolute angel herself as she helped Riley do it all and didn’t miss a thing! She was SO sweet with Riley and all the other kids on both teams! I was really so proud of both my girls tonight and was so inspired by everyone there that I thought my heart would absolutely burst! 

The sweet baseball players “practiced” including kind of warming up and playing a little from 6:30-7. It’s very informal, non-competitive and awesome and at 7pm the game started. Each team takes a turn being in the outfield or letting all of their players have a turn at bat. They then run one base at a time and the last player up hits a homerun! On her second time at bat Riley hit the homerun and absolutely beamed. Amongst the cheers she stopped mid way between 3rd and home to smile at the adoring fans and make sure everyone was watching. All while Keagan is running along side her and encouraging her of course! Seriously my cheeks hurt from smiling so big! Man we are SO, so blessed and SO, so grateful!! 

Who knew baseball could turn such a bad day around like that! At least for a while, I think Thursday’s are going to be my new favorite day! Because that’s where the Angels are of course!  






















0 comments:

Post a Comment