Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

God Bless America!

Last night during our final drive home, as Riley struggled to keep her eyes open, Keagan said "mom that was the best days ever!" And she was right! It was pretty great! I think the 4th of July may be giving Thanksgiving a run for its money now as my favorite holiday. Love of country, gratitude for freedom, plus family, friends, food and fun! Sounds like a winning combo to me! 

Several months ago I organized a group of us together to go to an Astros game on the 4th, because ya know what's more American then baseball? Now I'm SO glad I did! There was 48 of us all together including us, the Fosters minus Addie, the Frenchs, the Blackhursts, Skidmores, Gruewells, Roberts, McArthurs and Mortensens. We were in the nose bleed section and had a fantastic time! I knew Keagan would be good at cheering but I had no idea she would be so into the game! At one point I was turned around talking to friends when she yelled " mom are you even watching?! We have 2 strikes!" And I bet 13 times she said "this is my very first time at a big game!" The girl cherished the free rally towel we got. Looks like ai have an Astros fan! Too cute! Miss Riley sat surprisingly still and just tried to take it all in. I think she was nervous of the heights but still had fun. She even barely ate her hot dog and popcorn, but nibbled on the funnel cake a little. Yes we took the stadium food all the way! It was a holiday for goodness sakes. She also LOVED the free shirt we got for getting there early and insisted on wearing it despite it being almost a floor length dress on her! Cracks me up. The Astros won the game against the Mariners 2 to 1 and we all really had a fantastic afternoon!  
After the game we had a mellow dinner at Sa's in good air conditioning like we needed, then popped some of our own fireworks with the Fosters. It was nice and easy which was perfect after a long day. We started them before the sun went down but it was perfect. Riley could have held sparklers for hours and Keagan transformed from having always observed the fireworks from a safe distance to lighting all of her own last night! I was proud of her! We had picked out just the right stuff this year and loved it all. Thanks to Kellie for being in charge of the lighting and good thing that one rouge firework narrowly missed Sa's face! 

Our last stop was the French's house to watch the firework show from their new back yard with the Blackhursts and Foaters. Such a great way to end the night! A good show, better then I expected weather, watermelon, patriotic cupcakes, homemade peach cobbler, glow sticks and happy kids! It was perfect! 

We all went to bed exhausted and thankful last night! What a great combo! I'm so thankful for this great land and all of those who have worked hard and fought to preserve my freedoms! I'm thankful to worship as I believe and raise my girls as I believe! And I'm thankful to be able to have wonderful days like we did this 4th of July! It really was one of the best, just like this great country! Look, even the sunset agreed as it celebrated with us in red, white and blue! Keagan was right, one of the best days ever! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment