Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Count Your Blessings

Since Monday's monster of news I've been in a bad funk. Like bad. I was so down and having such a hard time. I was thinking worse case scenario and had decided that I could no longer put a positive spin on things and couldn't carry the weight of everything anymore.

I was absolutely exhausted in every way, and rightfully so.

I spent yesterday in a bad place. Luckily the amazing Gama Linda took the girls to Coach's basketball game for the afternoon. And then the Ginns had a big cousin sleepover last night and even took my girls toilet papering for their first time!






All night last night I was thinking about how I was going to pull myself out of a place I didn't want to be. The answer came to me crystal clear while I was on my knees in prayer to my Heavenly Father...

Count your blessings!

Of course. That is exactly what has gotten me through so many other difficult times. It's just easy to forget.

The incredible President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said "Everyone’s situation is different, and the details of each life are unique. Nevertheless, I have learned that there is something that would take away the bitterness that may come into our lives. There is one thing we can do to make life sweeter, more joyful, even glorious. We can be grateful!"

And this as well..."When we are grateful to God in our circumstances, we can experience gentle peace in the midst of tribulation. In grief, we can still lift up our hearts in praise. In pain, we can glory in Christ’s Atonement. In the cold of bitter sorrow, we can experience the closeness and warmth of heaven’s embrace."

I knew those words are true. I knew gratitude to my Heavenly Father for all my very many blessings would help me. And I knew exactly what I needed to do.

So today after the obligatory post sleepover meltdown nap, I decided to get myself out of this funk!


This afternoon the girls and I created "The Kikuchi Girl Thankful Tree." We roughly sketched a tree and then made the leaves by tracing and cutting out our hands. We filled the leaves with the 8 things we are most thankful for and glued them on the tree.


Riley's leaves are yellow and she is thankful for Mommy and Keagan, Nana, Gamas, cousins, food, her school, being safe, and Team Riley which is all her doctors, nurses, therapists, teachers and supporters.

Keagan's leaves are red and she is thankful for Jesus, mommy and Riley, cousins, Sa and Todd, her school, dad, her family and love. When I asked her for her first one she responded like I was ridiculous for even asking. "Jesus! I love Him. Duh!"

My leaves are obviously the big orange ones and I am thankful for Keagan and Riley, the gospel of Jesus Christ, my family and friends, prayer, the Holy Ghost, a home, time well spent with my two little girls and Team Riley.


The girls were so proud of our tree that they insisted we hang it from the mantle. I was beyond thrilled that my prayers had been answered! Counting my blessing had done exactly what I knew it would! So we knelt down together and offered our Heavenly Father a sincere prayer of thankfulness and listed all the things on our tree.


I am now completely out of the funk and feeling very grateful and very blessed! Now we are all three extremely ready for Thanksgiving tomorrow with grateful hearts feeling very blessed indeed!

Count your blessings!

"To live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven." - President Thomas S. Monson







Posted using BlogPress


0 comments:

Post a Comment