Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Small & Simple

Lately I feel like I am continually fighting the urge to become overwhelmed. There is just so much to be done and get done. And guess what, there always will be. But I am well aware that once I reach that overwhelmed point I get nothing done and become a not very nice momma too. So that benefits no one. Instead I try SO hard to fight that overwhelmed feeling with all I’ve got!

I am very thankful to have learned in the Book of Mormon that “by small and simple things are great things brought to pass.” When I apply that scripture like I wish I did more often with all the scriptures, it truly helps. You see, I can manage small and simple things all day, every day. Well, most days I can. And then thankfully those small and simple things will hopefully accumulate one after another to not be so small and simple. So it’s about being aware, being intentional, taking one thing at a time and not letting myself get to that point. Easier said then done some days but when it works it works. 

Just like the craziness going on in my head, our first couple weeks back at school have been nothing big but an accumulation of small and simple things. We spent the long Labor Day weekend trying to pretend it is still summer. We went out to dinner with Sa, Todd, Taryn and Reagan. One day we took Avery swimming with us and another day we went to a fun new pool with Mrs Heather, Calli and surprisingly Addie and Kellie came too! I may have gone down the waterslide a bunch and Addie disobeyed my instructions and videoed me. The girls had a play date with Claire to make more music videos, and DPAC is back in full swing! BOTH girls were brave and did great auditions so Keagan is playing Olaf in Frozen Jr. and Riley is playing Fairy Godmother #2 in Cinderella Jr. Keagan is also doing the new DPAC show choir called Ovation and Riley will start baseball in a couple weeks. Keagan got her new take home chrome book from school that she loves and we are working on getting Riley hers like all the other 5th graders. Keagan has been packing her own lunch to take to school everyday which amazes me with how responsible she is. Riley has been picking out her school outfits the night before and often sleeping in it which sounds crazy but it uliminates our morning tantrums so I just go with it. And Riley has recently gotten into prancing Keagan and finds it beyond hilarious when we “leave” Keagan at Sa’s house! 

Sweet Riley was involved in a very unfortunate incident in her class that is being addressed and has an awful bruise to show for it. And I was thrilled to hold her while she slept last Sunday afternoon after I found out that a little friend we know with her same brain malformation passed away from SUDEP which is my biggest fear and stands for sudden unexplained death from epilepsy. Keagan made the best chicken enchiladas for the Lakes one night when we took them dinner and she continually makes her special strawberry drink for us. Riley is always wanting to play with tape and/or scissors, but not always her new and expensive adapted scissors. And Riley absolutely loves when anyone will read to her especially when Keagan did one night and Mrs Taryn did who babysat her one night. We haven’t had any 5th grade homework yet and Keagan has loved being the one to train the safety patrol kids on how to put up the flags at school and take them down as her and Lauren did it for the first 2 weeks. We have thankfully kept up with our Come Follow Me lessons and they are some of the very best times of the whole week! And I am LOVING how BOTH girls will remind me in the mornings that we need a “team huddle” which means we need to say family prayer.

We are always working on things and of course we have challenges. But life is so full of many, many blessings. Maybe that is what I need to be overwhelmed about! Our blessings! But until then we will do the best we can at the small and simple things each day. I just know they will add up! The Book of Mormon says so and you know I believe that! If it says “by small and simple things are great things brought to pass” then bring on the great things! Team Kikuchi is ready for them! 





















































0 comments:

Post a Comment