Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2018

She’s a Pro

I can not decide if I should be proud or if I should be heavy hearted that my nine year old is a complete professional patient. The girl can rock a doctors appointment, hospital visit, treatment and even full anesthesia procedure like she is getting paid to do so! Riley knows the paper work drill, when to stick out her hand to show her identification bracelet or to put the blood pressure cuff on. She knows to take off her shoes to get her weight, to lift her arm for an armpit temp reading, to stay still as a doctor or 7 examin her and when things are about to get scary and I need to pick her up. She really and truly amazes me! But when I chalk it up to her literally having done this HUNDREDS of times, it definitely breaks my heart! 

This morning was her Botox procedure where she goes under full anesthesia for over 50 injections in her left hand, arm, shoulder and salivary glands. Despite leaving our house at 5am, not having had breakfast and knowing full well what she was getting into as this is her 5th time, she was a happy and sweet girl. After hours of pre-op stuff she did not fight it one bit for me to put the gas mask on her sweet little face to get her to sleep before her IV went in. The procedure took longer then normal because they couldn’t find a vein and she came out brusised and having a hard time maintaining her temperature but she was still calm and was happy and had typical behavior, appetite and mood the rest of the day! 






Tuesday she had an Endocrinology appointment that went even smoother then today. Both the doctor and I decided against growth hormones that were being considered (why would we do that?!) and we moved on. It was extra fun that cousin Addie had an appointment at the same hospital at the same time so we got to see her too! 


I was thinking today that doctors offices, hospital visits and procedures is a way of life for Riley and she doesnt know any other way. I occasionally get someone commenting about me being a single mom, a twin mom or a special needs mom, and my response is always something to do with the fact that I don’t know it any other way. I do wish with all of my heart that Riley only knew life as a healthy kid who rarely sees the doctor, but things just didn’t work out that way. So since she needs all the extra care I am just SO thankful she is as amazing as she is! My guess is as the years go on and the appointments continue to stack up by the hundreds, I bet she will continue to rock the hand she’s been dealt and probably smile thru the whole dang journey. 

Yep she will definitely smile! 

Meanwhile I will just sign the papers, hold her tight, answer the questions and marvel at who Riley truly is. 

Yep, I will definitely marvel! Oh and fingers crossed we will get some good news, some good people and some good sleep along the way! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment