Pages

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

I Blinked And They’re Nine!

On October 12th, 2008 four doctors came into the hospital room I had been in for over two weeks in Honolulu. They filed in and lined up against the window. Tonight I can still see them so clearly with the beautiful Honolulu sun shining in the bright blue sky behind them. They wore white coats and encouraging smiles and each took a turn to tell me that in order to save Riley’s little life that I needed to have an emergency c-section. I was only 31 weeks pregnant and obviously scared out of my mind! But I at least had enough gumption to beg them to be able to wait until the 14th because even though I’m totally not superstitious I didn’t want the girls to be born on Friday the 13th, in October none the less. Although I knew it was silly, that made me feel I had a little input, a little control over the craziness swirling around me when they agreed to wait one more day. So happily the girls were born bright and early on the 14th and that gave me comfort in a time of  SO much chaos. 

Despite that chaos it was the absolute best day of my life! And then I blinked and changed a few diapers, gave a few kisses, cleaned up a few messes, had a few doctors appointments and sleepless nights and THEN THEY WERE NINE! How in the world did that happen?! 

This past Saturday the 14th was my babies NINTH birthday! I seriously still haven’t wrapped my head around that one yet. But they were already scheduled to be with their dad on their birthday who flew in for the first time in a year to celebrate with them and their Grandma Debbie. So we celebrated their birthday together on the day I had originally begged not to, Friday the 13th. Although it’s terrifying that they are so old, it was an absolutely fantastic day that left all three of us feeling very happy and very blessed! 

Of course I put up the same decorations that I have every year of their life for their birthday. They woke up to that surprise and several gifts from mommy which they were sweetly thankful for. They each got a new toy, a book, some clothes, their first set of makeup to just play with and their Halloween costumes. Of course Riley begged to put her Cinderella costume on and rocked it the ENTIRE rest of the day! 











We hung out, cuddled and played with the new toys for a relaxing birthday morning. Keagan did everybody’s make up with her new set and made us look pretty dang gorgeous! After lunch we met the Lakes to go bowling. It was the same bowling alley that the girls had their school friends birthday party last year. But honestly, I think they probably had more fun this year there! All the kids really had a blast and lived it up including bowling alley snacks and sweet birthday presents from Avery, Beckham and Grayson. Avery even gave Keagan the sweetest BFF necklace that she loves! They really had SO much fun and it was just low key and easy- my kind of birthday! Plus who wouldn’t want to bowl with Cinderella, tiara and septer and all? The Lakes are all super sweet to Riley and Beckham insisted on putting on Cinderellas shoes when the bowling was done! Between that and the BFF necklaces it was the best! 

















After bowling we kept Avery and headed to the girls family birthday dinner. It was in the perfect back room of Russo’s Pizzaria. We all sat at a ginormous square table made up of a bunch of tables smooshed together and had a fantastic night full of being loud of course, lots of laughter, good food and great company! It doesn’t get much better then that! As we went around the table I was thankful that so many of the people we love and who love the girls were there to celebrate with us; Gamas, Coach, Kellie, Addie, Kennedy, Kari, Hudson, Reagan, Avery, then Keags, Campbell, Todd, Sa, Miss Taryn, Me and then Riley. We chatted for a long time, the girls opened thoughtful presents and then they each blew out the candles of their own cakes. Keagan had Princess Leia on her cake and Rileys was Cinderella of course! We topped off the crazy with the kids sucking the helium out of the balloons and Keagan giving me a big hug to say thank you! My heart was literally so full! 












Yes my heart was so full after a day celebrating the two best things that ever happened to me! Every year on their birthday I get emotional about what all I went through to get these special little girls here and what an incredible blessing they are! They are both truly extraordinary little people who have given me SO much and taught me SO much in nine short years. I have truly cherished the last nine years and I am sure grateful that I have the rest of eternity with them to go! 

Happy birthday Keagan and Riley! 

But wait! Are you sure you are NINE?!





0 comments:

Post a Comment