Pages

Monday, March 15, 2021

Survival Mode

It’s been a month and a half since I blogged so obviously so much has happened. But I’ve just been in total survival mode. Heck I stopped wearing make up to work most days and we’ve had more ramen and Chick fil A then I care to admit! So I definitely haven’t had the energy or time to blog. Trying to work two jobs, give my mom who has been in a long term care center and the hospital now all that she needs and do all that I can to still keep Keagan and Riley’s lives rolling along beautifully and not changing too much has not been one bit easy. Thankfully I have had massive help from the Lord! I wouldn't be surviving without Him! But even with Him, total survival mode. So this is going to be the cliff notes of the last month and a half! 

We were definitely in survival mode during a crazy winter storm that struck Houston with the lowest temps we’ve seen since the beginning of last century and a fun (for the first day) amount of snow. We never thought we would use our snow gear from last year at home but man did we have fun bundeling up and spending almost an entire day outside enjoying it! Days later Keags bundeled up again to hack and remove the thick ice that covered our back patio too. We were SO blessed to never lose power like the large majority of our friends and neighbors did! And we only had one small pipe burst which was the hot water knob in the master bath so we could contain it. So many people weren’t as lucky! School was canceled for a week and the girls had a blast with play dates of friends coming to our house because we had power! I mainly counted our blessings all day while trying to figure out how I could be helpful and stayed awake all night listening for bursting pipes as all our faucets dripped water 24/7. With the rest of our state I was super grateful when the temps went back above freezing again but these days will probably be some fun memories! 






































During the storm we also decorated Calli’s yard for her birthday with friends. 




We’ve had lots of play dates and sweet, sweet friends have watched the girls while I visited Nana. We had two parties at our house including one loud and crazy girl party and a smaller boy/girl party. We contributed a very fun chocolate fountain to a Valentine’s Day party at the Whitney’s and it was a huge hit! We went to Calli’s birthday party and to the Hall-Browns for a super fun Galentines party on Valentine’s Day for all the single sisters in our ward and had a blast! 



































The girls finally had their 12 year check up after being rescheduled 3 times and wow those shots were as dramatic as expected. We celebrated sweet Riley on international rare disease day. We’ve passed a cold between the three of us. And Keagan sprained her wrist getting a little too competitive in PE volleyball! But the Doerre nurse worried it was broken so we will take the sprain! 










Of course we have spent plenty of time at DPAC rehearsing for High School Musical and Ovation. That’s both Keags and Rys favorite time of each week.  They are also happy that young women activities are back in person and have a blast there. Side note is I was just released from my calling in young women’s after serving in it for almost 5 years! 




















The sweet and incredible Mortensen family showed up one morning and cleaned all our grout on their hands and knees! And three thoughtful friends have brought us dinners! Keagan has baked on Sundays and we’ve delivered those treats to friends. We had a little Super Bowl party with Kellie and Justin, tried Boba for the first time (Riley loved it, Keags did not) and got lots of friends chocolate roses for the school Valentine’s Day fundraiser. We’ve done good at keeping up with our Come Follow Me once a week. Keagan has cherished her time walking home with her peeps and loves her new Hawaiian shirt for Auntie Jenn. Unfortunately Riley fell at school one day and got a big egg on her head. But luckily that was after the girls took their cute school photos! 























I had Riley’s annual ARD which isnt my favorite. And everyone who knows me knows I’m terrified of the dentist! But I took Keags the dentist and she has still never had a single cavity, and I recently got two crowns put in! I won a free lunch for my team from Chick fil A! I had some tough but great conversations with Keagan after she has made progress in therapy. And I actually went out to dinner with my work friends to celebrate Meghan’s birthday. 



And I’ve done all of this with a heavy heart and my thoughts on my sweet mom. Man she has really been thru the ringer since Covid-19! Her first long term care facility was terrible but since I could only speak to her thru the window it took me too long to realize that! So by the time we got her moved to the second long term care facility she had a horrible bed sore! That has caused her so much grief. At the second long term facility I was thrilled to be able to actually see her and hug her! I could only go twice a week and I had to get a Covid test before every visit! My poor nose taking all those Covid tests but it was worth it to see her! We really had some great conversations and time together. Last Saturday I got her admitted back to the hospital to better treat her wound and we are now right in the middle of making big decisions with her to try to limit any suffering for her. It’s hard, really hard. I really thought she would be home by now and I still don’t know what the future holds. Riley burst into tears the other night because she misses Nana so much and I just laid down on the ground next to her and cried with her. 

So yes we’ve done a lot, and there was a lot to blog and document. But I’m doing it all in total survival mode. Only by the grace of God we will survive! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment