Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Terrific Ten

At 10 years old, my girls Keagan and Riley sit right on the edge of becoming tweens and then dare I say teenagers. Being a loving aunt and a loving friend of many a teenager, I am extremely aware of all that our future may hold that is beautiful, great, bad and ugly. So I cherish 10. It is a glorious age where these sweet girls have a mind of their own, can have hilarious or thought provoking conversations and can pull some weight in the chores department. But they also still like to cuddle, still call me mommy, still are so silly with me, still run everything about their life thru me and still need some serious hand holding. 10 is terrific my friends! And I know I am going to blink one day and 10 will be long ago. So I am going to enjoy 10 as best I can, while I can! 

10 means darling dress up days at school! And dressing up for the 100th day of school was just so stinkin cute! The chatter about “these youngsters” and “back in my day” was even better! They had grey hair, cardigans, cat eye glasses on a pearl change and canes. 












10 also means the big 4th grade field trip to Wunderlich Farms Historical Park and Museum! Kind of funny that the girls took a bus from school back to walking distance from our house. But of course they absolutely loved it! And I am SO blessed to be able to be a part of all these types of things and not miss much! The day was full of going back in time and exploring what our area looked like long ago including a sample of what school, homes, farms, cooking and much more would be like. I think their favorites were seeing yarn being made, sampling crackers made in a cast iron pot over an open fire, trying vintage games, petting the horse and rabbits and feeding the goats. And they were sure grateful the mean school teacher, the out houses and the beds stuffed full of corn husks was not for them! The picnic lunch and the beautiful weather topped it off for what Keagan said was one of the best days of 4th grade! 






































10 means an amazing Valentines Day full of lots of love from everywhere you look! The girls gave their classmates the cutest valentines with heart glasses that you add glow sticks too. Lucky Riley had so many extras that she got to share the love with lots of teachers and friends! The girls themselves got gifts from mommy, a package from their dad, tradition cookies from Grama Linda, and even special gifts from our friend Trey at school! All that plus an awesome friendship party at school with all of 4th grade, valentines exchanges with their class, and a super fun dinner of raclette at Sa’s house with fun cupcakes from mom for dessert! Then Keagan and I topped off the night with a service project with the Laurels and Priests cleaning out and organizing a garage of a newly single mom and my friend. Our Valentine’s Day was so full of love it was amazing! Oh and I almost forgot to mention the precious homemade valentines the girls made me that I will cherish forever! That’s just another great thing about being 10! 



































 Valentines Day was also the day of Riley’s annual ARD, or out annual Team Riley meeting. I am beyond blessed that each year in the meeting we focus on how amazing Riley is and all that she has accomplished instead of her limitations and that I get a loud voice in planning the great things that she will accomplish in the coming year! For two years in a row Coach Fox has made me cry with her sincere admiration of sweet Riley! And this year I could not praise her teacher Mrs Acosta enough! Riley mastered ALL of her goals from the previous year and is up to 50 sight words, can correctly do rhyming, coin values, beginning and ending sounds of words, identify an animals habitat, can count syllables and do so much more! I am beyond proud of her and am so thankful I get a front row seat to see what she accomplishes next! 


10 means very sweet friends! We’ve had play dates, we’ve run hard at the park with the Lakes and Keagan even had a super fun late night last night with Izzy at the Monson’s house! 






10 also means being excited to participate in pretty much everything offered at school! Choir, Culture for Caring club, Speedy Scottie’s running club, you name it. And definitely the sock drive, the boosterthon, the box top contest and the Share the Lovd soup can collection competition that 4th grade won for running club. And honestly I bet there is a bunch more I’m forgetting! 






And 10 means SO much shenanigans that I LOVE! We joke and tease, we cuddle and laugh, we make fun of ourselves and again we laugh. Reasons we laugh could be anything from Riley taking 200 selfies on my phone or vacuuming her own hair to Keagans jokes, especially during our nightly chat in bed or her hair mustache stunts. Whatever it is, we love our shenanigans around here! 








And 10 means pure sweetness that just kills me every time! It means Keagan going on a dandelion hunt to make all the wishes in the world and Riley wanting me to be right close to her as she slips off to sleep. Or Keagan reaching out her arms asking for cuddles on the couch and Riley’s great hugs when I least expect it. And the sweetest come follow me lessons we have at home and the girls quietly helping each other! I think it’s the sweetness of 10 that I will cherish the very most. By no means whatsoever is 10 perfect! But anyway you look at it, 10 is gosh darn pretty terrific! 






0 comments:

Post a Comment