Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Back to School Is My Jam

Call me crazy, but I have always loved back to school time! I am a creature of habit that loves a good routine, there is nothing like a brand new box of crayons and the hope of cooler weather, and starting new adventures is ever so exciting! So back to school is my jam! But I wasn’t the only one at our house who enjoyed this last week of going back to school! 

Both Keagan and Riley were up bright and early filled with excitement on Monday for the first day of 4th grade at Mahaffey Elementary. Keagan was even happy to wake up and curl her hair as it is one of her goals this year to wear her hair down and out of a pony tail more. She’s so stinkin cute! They were both SO cute in their little dresses with their fun new back packs. We got to school early and Riley literally squealed in the car she was so excited and Keagan hid her pounding heart beat well as she later admitted. Both girls have a bestie in their class which makes everything that much better. Keagan is joyful with Avery near for the third year in a row and Riley is beyond thrilled to have her instant bestie Jackie in her class which is another small 4th grade girl who has a twin sister and is always happy and loves hugs. Keagan warmed up to Mrs Goolsbee right away who I think is going to be a huge blessing this year as will Mrs DiCarlo with math but she will go on maternity leave in the next 2 weeks. Riley had as best a transition as possible to a new teacher since Mrs Acosta has been an aide at Mahaffey for 2 years and we already love her! Oh and meanwhile, my first work week of school was busy, busy, busy of course! I work for and with so many amazing people! I love my team, my work besties who I’ve loved for 2 years and it’s nice to add Meghan to the mix as us special needs mommas are totally rocking the workroom this year! I am so super thankful to not only have a job again but also to be able to keep my Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule that works so great for our family! 





















Monday night we had our traditional back to school family home evening. We talked about our goals for the year and filled out our first day survey for our yearly binders. I love looking back on these over the years! We also had a great discussion about being daughters of God, daughters of a King. I really wanted to convey to both girls how valuable, precious and loved they are and how that should effect the way they live their lives, how they treat themselves and others, and the choices they make. This will definitely be an ongoing conversation this year and hopefully a little bit will sink in! 




On Tuesday I surprised Keagan with lunch and we had a sweet little chat over her favorite Chick fil A. It was also a day for each of us to celebrate a good friends birthday. For me it meant bringing cup cakes and balloons to Chantel at work and for Keagan it meant going home with Avery on the bus and playing then going to a movie for her big day. Not a bad way to spend the 2nd day of school! 






Mrs Riley Roo had her own fun at her first dance class.  She is absolutely thrilled to be back in dance class and I’m pretty sure I found the perfect class for her as it is a princess ballet and tap class where every six weeks the class dresses up as a different Disney Princess! She is with younger girls of course but I’m pretty sure she was the happiest one in the Belle costume! It was precious! 






The rest of the week went smoothly as we adjusted to our new normal again. We were all a little exhausted but happy all week and we got some great down time this weekend including me getting a nap on Saturday when Sami dropped by to hang out which was amazing. The girls also had Lauren over to play Friday night, Keagan and I had so much fun getting ice cream with some of the laurels Wednesday night, we went out to dinner with the Fosters Saturday night and then hung out at the Ginn’s way too late. Today we had a fabulous Sunday! In primary Riley gave a talk on the power of prayer which she was so proud of even though I helped her with it. And she ended up being the spotlight of the day too. I got reports that Keagan was so sweet and went up front with Riley to help her answer questions about herself by giving her choices like we do by holding up our hands. And then after church and family dinner, I really hope I always remember the sweetness that was our Sunday night. My two babies couldn’t have been cuter and better sisters tonight. Sweet and helpful Keagan not only insisted on giving Riley a bath but she made it so fun that they were in there roaring with laughter for quite some time! And once out of the bath the giggles, smiles and cuddles continued showing me a glimpse of pure heaven! On frustrating, sassy and fighting days I’ve got to remember this greatness right here! 




This week also brought the anniversary of my dads passing. I can not believe it has been 11 years since he has been gone because sometimes it feels like it was just last month. But then I think about all that he has missed in our lives and I know it’s been far, far too long. He would love things like back to school, dance classes and bathtubs full of little girl giggles. Happy grandkids was his jam. And who am I kidding, I’m sure it still is! He just happens to be watching from a different perspective. Hopefully he helps us thru 4th grade this year and I know the Lord will too! So far we are all off to a pretty dang good start! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment