Pages

Friday, July 27, 2018

Aloha

The last time the girls and I were in Hawaii they were almost 3 months old. So it’s been just a little while and more then a few things have changed in 10 years. But on Tuesday we rocked 12 hours of traveling including 9.5 hours in the air to fly to Honolulu via LA. Riley was scared again on the plane but this time Keagan was so beyond sweet to comfort her with hugs, iPad games and even kisses. It was the sweetest thing I’ve seen in a long time and was a great view of how I know that sweet big sister will help her little sister while we are apart since the girls will be with their dad the entire time while we are here. 




The last flight was super long and we arrived past midnight Texas time but none of us got to sleep a wink. When we landed the girls had the best welcoming committee! Their dad, Grandma Debbie, cousin Tyson, Auntie Kim, Uncle Brandon, Auntie Mona, cousin Jacquie, cousin Maddie and Ken all came with big signs, beautiful leis and smiles! It was super sweet and  was great to see both my girls so excited to run full speed down the baggage claim to hug everyone hello!




 










After I got my rental car, I joined everyone at Zippy’s for a late dinner. Riley sat on the end and giggled non-stop at her dad, Keagan sat with the cousins and chatted non-stop especially with Tyson which made me SO happy that these cousins are getting close and I sat with Kim, Brandon and Auntie Mona to catch up and start eating all the delicious food from Hawaii that I’ve missed SO much! After dinner we completed the hand off of the two most precious and most amazing little girls in the entire world-not something that is very easy for this momma. This is hard for me, and the girls have been pretty anxious going into this but I know they are going to have an incredible 10 days being introduced to Hawaii and being loved on by so many family members! I’m hoping to get lots of pictures and hear all the stories! 

The girls went straight to their dads place which is a tall high rise in Honolulu and where he has made a little bedroom for them. Thanks to a friend I spent the first night at the Queen Kapiolani hotel in Waikiki. Luckily my babies FaceTimed me right when I was checking in and because they were so stinking cute they got me a free room upgrade! That made for a gorgeous view Wednesday morning to wake up to and a nice welcome back to the island that I had called home at one time for several years. 


Since Travis had to work on Wednesday morning, I met Keags, Rys, Grandma Debbie, Auntie Kim, Tyson, Jacquie and Maddie for a late breakfast. We chatted and laughed and I had the most amazing corn beef hash benedict at the darling Sweets Cafe and checked one more delicious item off my unofficial list of foods to eat. Because let’s face it all I want to do is eat my way thru Hawaii! The girls were wearing the most absolutely darling matching shirts ever that Grandma Debbie had made! They say “Aloha Cousin Crew Summer 2018” and I have a feeling both girls are going to get good use out of them! 




After breakfast the girls went with Grandma Debbie to meet their dad and check out Hanuma Bay to see the movie and then have a picnic in the park. Then they all met up with Tyson and Maddie to go to the aquarium, to get classic shave ice and finally a late dinner at Chili’s. I know the girls had a blast and both had huge smiles and tired eyes at the end of the day when they face timed me. As a side note I gave both girls only two rules while they are here. Keagan’s rules are: make sure your sister is ok and check in with me every night. Riley’s rules are to take her medicine when her dad gives it to her and be nice to her sister!





















Meanwhile, I checked out the huge changes in Waikiki and went to the cemetery to place leis on graves and say goodbye to the girls great grandma which was harder then I had expected. Then I went to Costco to buy all kinds of supplies and then took my time to drive the south shore to the east shore (windward side) to the north shore where I am staying. I made stops along the way and soaked up all the beauty that did not disappoint after being gone for 10 years! 


The essentials in Hawaii! Gotta have the strawberry guava and passion orange! 








I am staying on the more rural north shore of Oahu in Punalu’u. One of my best friends Jenn just recently bought a condo here that she is completely renovating and so I was going to stay there and help. I have tried to help with the subcontractors and deliveries but after an adventure I am lucky enough to be staying in another condo just one floor down from Jenn’s. I slept great on the hide away bed right in front of the open glass door to the lanai (balcony) as I listened to the music of the waves crashing on the shore just 20 yards away! It’s awesome! 


Thursday the girls went with Grandma Debbie, Tyson and Maddie to Sea Life Park which is kind of a miniature SeaWorld. Both girls said their favorite part was being splashed by the dolphins. Keagan also loved sitting in the trunk area with Tyson while Grandma Debbie ran errands! I can not buy imagine those two goofballs back there having fun! And they topped off another great day with their dad grilling steaks and swimming in his buildings infinity pool with Ty, Maddie, Jacquie, Mona, Auntie Marjorie, Aunty Audry and Uncle Al! They also enjoyed cupcakes that Maddie made Keagan and Riley and I got a video of Riley laughing hysterically with icing on her nose, heard Keagan and Tyson playing in the pool and heard everyone laughing and having a blast! Sounded like so much fun and made my heart happy that Keags and Rys are feeling so much love! 



















Can you spot Keagan? Her and Tyson didn’t want to stop swimming to eat! 



















Meanwhile besides trying to help with Jenn’s condo which is the very least I could do to help, I stopped to get lunch at the most amazing food truck called Island Breeze, stopped to see a Hawaiian Monk Seal sunbathing, and met Kim at the windward mall for dinner. Lunch was coconut shrimp which was done with a delicious coconut milk and garlic fries and dinner was the best meat Jun and Korean potato that I have been literally craving for years! It was fun catching up with Kim and marveling in all that has happened in both of our lives since we met and being thankful for our lives now and our 3 amazing children! Speaking of those 3 they are getting along so great which was my biggest hope in coming here! Kim said at some point yesterday Tyson called to beg her to skip football practice to stay with his cousins. When Kim told him football practice was canceled the three cousins broke into celebratory cheers! I just love that! I guess Tyson said “Riley I get to stay with you! I don’t have to go girls!” and the screams erupted. That’s the absolute best! 










This morning the girls went out to stay at Aulani the Disney resort here on Oahu for a couple of magical days with their dad, Grandma Debbie, Tyson, Uncle Brandon, Auntie Mona, Jacquie and Maddie. I’m SO excited for them! When a very tired but happy Keagan called tonight she said they spent the day swimming in the pools and lazy river, going down the Waterslide and eating snacks like a Mickey Mouse shaved ice. They also both loved an amazing chocolate plate of stitch and classic Disney amazingness that cousin Marj had sent to the room! Amazing! 










On the other side of the island, I may have had pie for breakfast. But in my defense it is the absolute best pie ever made which is Ted’s bakery chocolate huapia pie! Yum!!! One piece yesterday and one piece today! Heaven! 


After some condo stuff in the morning (poor Jenn and Andi there is quiet a bit of drama with this condo) I escaped to go to the famous little surf town of Haleiwa. It sure changed a ton in 10 years and I loved walking around, shopping and eating yummy plate lunch at Fatboys outside in the breeze. But even better yet I came back to finally head to the beach! The ocean was so refreshing and the walk down the beach and time relaxing on a lawn chair was so good for my soul! I stayed out there as long as possible watching the sun go down on a beautiful day in Hawaii nei. 



















Before this trip, all three of the Kikuchi girls were a little anxious about what this Island has in store for us. The girls really just didn’t know what to expect and they knew this was something big that we have literally talked about for years. And when I left Hawaii over 10 years ago it was under horrible circumstances so I didn’t know what it was going to be like to come back. But fortunately we are 3 days into a ten day trip and so far it has been great, minus a few bumps of course. There are always s bumps. But, the girls are having a ball and really recieving so much love from all their family members which is so wonderful! I am enjoying a little bit of a break, the food I’ve missed and the beauty that is this island. And the good news is we still have seven more days to enjoy it! Im sure there is a whole lot more fun, food, family, pictures and blogging to come! Aloha! 

1 comments:

  1. Emily, I hope you and your beautiful babies continue to have an amazing time. Reading your blog brings back so many memories of trips long ago. I know that my nieces aren’t interested in hearing from me—but if you get a chance—secretly give both of them a hug for me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    ReplyDelete