Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A 2 and a Half Year Feast

"Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do" 2 Nephi 32:3

"These words are not of men nor of man, but of me. ...It is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you... Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words" D&C 18:34-36





May of 2009 was smack dab in the middle of my nightmare. It was definitely the low point of my life. I was dealing with alot to say the least. I was still struggling with the loss of my dad. I was separated and dealing daily with the overwhelming drama of a 7 year marriage that was very painfully on life support and doomed for disaster. I had a very sick little girl who was only at the beginning of her tough battle. And I was trying to figure out how to be a single mom- of twins none the less.

I am so tired just thinking about those days.

There's things that I did during that time that maybe wasn't the best. Things were done out of desperation and a basic need to survive. But there are some things that girl did then, that make me look back and smile. One of those things is making a commitment to read my scriptures every night and sticking with that good choice. Starting this habit in my low of life helped lift me out of that hole. The word of the Lord and His prophets was a light in my very dark world.

So in May 2009 I started this scripture reading habit by reading the Book of Mormon. I then moved on to the Doctrine & Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price, The New Testament and just days ago I finished The Old Testament. That's a total of 2,476 pages of doctrine, love, truth, advice, lessons, testimony, history, gospel. And I can personally testify that they all contain the word of the Lord and are true.

There were some nights that I truly feasted upon the word. And I have to admit that there were other nights that I just merely snacked. But I always learned more and looked and listened for what the Lord would have me find. Even while I was at Disneyworld or in the Hospital with Riley, I used the scriptures on my phone to continue my progress. When you have a commitment to the Lord, and it is obviously providing so much in return, it's easy to follow through. Plus I was on a roll! You can't break a good streak!

I look at the incredible growth I have achieved over that time frame and I'm in awe. I obviously still have alot more to learn and alot more progress to make. But I'm a completely different woman then the girl from May 2009. And I can't minimize the role that my scripture reading had to do with it. So much strength, courage, understanding, testimony, and love came from those pages. This simple act each night before I went to bed helped lighten up my world in so many ways. A short 15 to 20 minutes helped me find just what I needed. And I'm incredibly thankful.

"For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost," 1 Nephi 10:19

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that govern to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him" James 1:5

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Emily, thank you for sharing this! I have never been a scriptorian, and hardly ever (yes it's true) pick up the scriptures to read FOR ME. Lately I've been feeling out of whack - like I'm going through the motions - but not feeling FULL like I want to be...of the Spirit and of that peace that comes from being close to the Lord. I think this is the answer. I need to take time for ME to read the scriptures. I admire you for sticking to it! I hope I can do it too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing and I want to be just like you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete